The role of a Leisure Duty Manager is to manage the effective day to day ‘front line’ operation of a leisure facility.
The apprenticeship includes both the Pool Plant Operators certificate and Emergency First Aid (3 day) certificate. These MUST be completed prior to completing the apprenticeship and are funded by ICON.
Your core responsibility will be to ensure that the facility is prepared for use in accordance with the planned activity programme and that all areas are maintained to the highest possible standards of safety, cleanliness, security and operational effectiveness. Typically, the Leisure Duty Manager will provide visible leadership to a diverse range of staff such as lifeguards, receptionists, sports coaches, fitness teams and creche workers. Their responsibility is to manage staff performance and on-going development to ensure that staff are motivated, efficient and operate at a high standard.
The Leisure Duty Manager will promote customer well-being, and through the services on offer, encourage customers to adopt and maintain an active healthy lifestyle. You will drive improvements to the customer experience and ensure members of staff are fully aware of how to support diverse customers, such as ethnic groups, disabled participants, adults, young children. Understanding this will contribute to overall customer loyalty and retention in support of the business goals and brand.
Includes a mixture of both On-site and remote support. Either 1-2-1 or in group environment dependant on the employer’s preference. Each learner will also have their own digital portfolio and digital resources.
The Knowledge and Understanding you will gain from this course:
• Leisure Facility Management: How to open, prepare and close a multi-functional leisure facility. Deliver and manage typical programmed activities such as women only sessions, ethnic minority pool etc. Overall, general preparation of facilities and management
• Front Line People Management: You will know how to effectively multi-functional leisure operations teams such as lifeguards, sports and fitness coaches etc to make sure everything runs smoothly. Also, you will understand the importance of performance management using regular SMART principles to support the personal achievements of the staff
• Customer Service: You will know how to recognise customer profiles and cater for specific needs such as women only sessions, disabilities and religious beliefs. Furthermore, you will have the knowledge to exceed customer expectations in line with service and values, understanding the importance of this to the brand
• Legal and Compliance: How to manage Health and Safety in accordance with legal and employer requirements for the safe running of a leisure facility for all customers and hazardous substances, risk assessments, equipment manual handling, and first aid reporting. You will also understand the environmental impacts of day to day leisure operations in areas of energy conservation and reduction, minimising waste and recyclable controls
• Business Support: You will understand the business brand and values of the organisation alongside upholding its reputation to support business goals and service targets through its operations, products and services on offer. You will also understand the importance of being part of the management team and providing support in tasks such as programming of activities, staff recruitment and induction, business development and marketing of the leisure facility
• Financial Responsibility: You will learn the importance of revenue protection during shifts, including all cash handling procedures, i.e. till reconciliation, vending machines, and catering outlets. You will also gain the knowledge to manage stock control effectively, and also raise purchase orders, set targets, and monitor expenditure
The apprenticeship will take a minimum of 15 months to complete
Employers who recruit candidates without English and Maths GCSE at Grade C or above (or approved equivalent) must ensure the individual achieves this standard prior to the completion of the apprenticeship
This apprenticeship standard is set at level 3
Completion of this apprenticeship will enable progression in the leisure industry to a more senior management role such as Centre Manager.